‘The history of philosophy is to a great extent that of a certain clash of human temperaments…’-William James
I was reading a post by Eve Bit First called a – man -is -a -rape-supporter if: http://evebitfirst.wordpress.com/2011/05/18/a-man-is-a-rape-supporter-if/ and the following is a snippet of her article:
“A man is a rape-supporter if…
- He has ever sexually engaged with any woman while she was underage, drunk, high, physically restrained, unconscious, or subjected to psychological, physical, economic, or emotional coercion.
- He defends the current legal definition of rape and/or opposes making consent a defense.
- He has accused a rape victim of having “buyer’s remorse” or wanting to get money from the man.
- He has blamed a woman for “putting herself in a situation” where she “could be” attacked.
- He has procured a prostitute.
- He characterizes prostitution as a “legitimate” “job” “choice” or defends men who purchase prostitutes.
- He has ever revealed he conceives of sex as fundamentally transactional.”
I understand where Eve was going with this and agree entirely; however, I…
View original post 2,446 more words
A Teacher’s Story…
Like everyone else, Jennifer Huettner agonized last Friday. As the news from Newtown went from awful to unfathomable, she had special reason to worry.
Jennifer is Staples High School’s beloved, energetic Latin teacher. But for 11 years, starting in 1999, she taught at Newtown High School. She lives just minutes from the town, and remains closely connected to it.
After lunch on Friday — she ate alone in the language lab — someone said Ryan Lanza was the killer. Jennifer could not believe the news. She’d taught him for 4 years. “He’s a gentle soul,” she says. “He wouldn’t hurt a fly.”
New information soon named Ryan’s brother Adam as the murderer.
Jennifer spent 3 years as Adam’s teacher.
“He had Asperger’s,” Jennifer says, confirming media reports. After being home schooled in 7th and 8th grades, Adam took freshman classes in a portable classroom at the high school. He was…
View original post 642 more words
But What About the Men? On Masculinity + Mass Shootings.
Tony Abbott, doing very important things…
Last Wednesday Tony Abbott admitted on the ABC’s 7:30 program that he hadn’t read BHP’s statement about plans for the Olympic Dam project; on Friday he revealed he hadn’t read the transcript from Julia Gillard’s home decorating-themed press conference. This was despite holding strong opinions on both topics.
View original post 264 more words
According to the film, The Social Network, Mark Zuckerberg conceived and founded Facebook largely as a result of being rejected by his girlfriend at the time.
So perhaps we must ask ourselves whether Facebook is merely a gigantic pervasive adolescent frat-boy fantasy theme park based on the need for acceptance and the need for the socially anxious to hang with the cool people and become awesome (and score women of course)
Adolescents are in the process of becoming adults. As part of that process they exhibit a number of characteristics, many of which are irritating to the real adults in their lives.
- unrealistic expectations
- pre-occupation with self – everyone is like me
- preoccupation with image
- overwhelming desire for acceptance
- black and white thinking
However in the real world, in order to survive, adolescents need to grow up.
We are told that Facebook has a physical workforce at…
View original post 1,801 more words